Monday, July 28, 2008

SOURCE OF ALL: MY LORD AND MY GOD

STORY OF A SOUL

"I have told you this so that my joy might be in you and your joy might be complete." (John 15:11)

Have you found your joy in life? And have you shared that joy with others? These were two diagnostic questions of the Egyptians in the early days to determine if one was already qualified to enter Paradise. However, one must give it serious thought because even if joy may be synonymous with happiness, still - it cannot be used interchangeably.

What do we truly have? Joy or Happiness? We can be happy if we choose to be, not to have real joy is something else. Happiness would satisfy our senses, while joy would gratify our inner being. Happiness results from things that would happen to our life, while joy results to life making things happen.

Happiness buds from those around us, while joy springs from within us. It is the flowering of our soul's connectedness with our Creator; He is the Cause of our Joy - Jesus of our life.

"Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and the One whom You sent, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3)

Joy is to find Him, to know Him ... joy in the midst of suffering! Jesus wants us to enjoy the fullness of life! His love is everlasting and He does it with a joyful Heart. Yes, He found joy in loving us, in spite of of our repeated unfaithfulness. In spite of our endless grumblings, in spite of our limitless desires to be happy. He loves us so much that He simply loves us just the way we are.

Life is getting simpler every day but I truly hope that it is not because we no longer have a choice anymore; but because we have made a choice - to choose the best, to desire the best, to love the best.

Jesus is the Real Joy of our lives. We can only find Him if our hearts are grateful - because a joyful heart is a grateful heart. Enthroning Him in His rightful place in our lives is the least we can do.

Find Him and you'll find joy.
Love Him and you will be the joy to others!
In my pilgrimage to Medjugorge in 1988,
Jesus finally found me.
An empty soul in the pursuit of happiness.
And on July 31, 1996 that lost soul finally found His God.

It was the same day I was ordained and I finally found the Real Joy in my heart. On my 12th year as a priest and pastor, I vow to love Him with an undivided heart and I hope to share that joy with my flock and my community. May this grateful heart lead me to a great attitude.

Pray for me that my heart will always be in pursuit of the Real Joy (Jesus) every single moment of my life - as a son of God, as a vicar of Christ, as a faithful follower of Jesus, and as a joy shared by the Source of all - my Lord and my God!

FR. VIC APACIBLE
Parish Priest / Rector
NATIONAL SHRINE OF THE SACRED HEART
Makati City, Philippines


GOD BLESS YOU FR. VIC APACIBLE
ON YOUR 12TH SACERDOTAL ANNIVERSARY!