Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BREAD OF LIFE FOR THE WAYFARERS

"I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE."

There are many ways to consider life, and one of them is to compare it to a journey. Indeed, our whole life is in many ways similar to some of the travels that we undertake. Because of the uncertainties or unwanted events that may
occur, we ask the Lord to accompany us, just as He accompanied and nourished the Chosen People and the prophet Elijah during their respective journeys in the desert.

In the journey of our life God shows His concern for our safety and nourishment through the presence of Jesus, our fellow traveler and Bread of Life. May His life-giving Word guide us. May He, the Bread come down from heaven, sustain and strengthen us in this Eucharistic celebration and beyond.


The Jews murmured about Jesus because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven,” and they said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph? Do we not know his father and mother? Then how can he say, ‘I have come down from heaven?’ ”

Jesus answered and said to them, “Stop murmuring among yourselves. No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day.


It is written in the prophets: ‘They shall all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.


I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died.
This is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. And the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”