Sunday, January 10, 2010

SON OF THE FATHER AND OUR BROTHER

"YOU ARE MY BELOVED SON;
WITH YOU I AM WELL PLEASED."


Jesus’ Baptism in the Jordan River is the second “Epiphany,” i.e., the second manifestation of his identity and mission. The Father’s voice reveals that Jesus is the “Son/Servant,” the man filled
with the Spirit of the Lord, sent to “establish justice on the earth.”

His mission will also entail taking upon himself the weight of mankind’s sinfulness, as foretold in the last of the Servant’s Songs.

Jesus’ Baptism reminds us of our own Baptism when the Father pronounced over us the most splendid sentence we will ever hear: “You are my beloved son / daughter!” It is this unparalleled dignity which entitles us to participate in this Eucharist. Let us do so with gratitude and love.


The people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts whether John might be the Christ.

John answered them all, saying, “I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”