Wednesday, December 16, 2009

1ST CHRISTMAS NOVENA: LET US OPEN OUR HEARTS TO THE LORD

Once again our centuries-long tradition of preparing for Christmas through the Simbang Gabi brings us together in great throngs. On this first day of our Christmas Novena, we want to tell Jesus how much we need his presence and long for His coming.

The decorations around us, our singing and our smiles create a joyful atmosphere of expectation. But what matters most is the disposition of our hearts – our desire to welcome Jesus and make Him the center of our life; the pledge to love him not only in words but also in deeds.

In this Eucharist, let us pray to the Lord for the grace of a persevering and fruitful attendance from the beginning to the end of this Novena. And may our hearts be ever more eager to welcome the Lord in our midst.


Jesus said to the Jews: “You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth. I do not accept testimony from a human being, but I say this so that you may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.

But I have testimony greater than John’s. The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me.”